My reaction to this movie may be a
little different form everyone else because I didn’t like too much the movie,
only a few scenes. I didn’t like the way that Puerto Rico is portrayed,
specially on the scenes when Paul Kempt goes to a very “poor” part of Puerto
Rico where you can see burning tires, little kids playing on the mud and
another kid alone in an old abandoned car. I didn’t like this scene at all
because there is a very big difference between been poor and been reckless.
That “town” shown was a mess. I know that back then roofs where made out of
zinc, and that very little buildings were made on cement but this place shown
appears what it could have been a dumpster.
Another thing that I didn’t like was
when Sanderson was talking to Paul about putting a tax in Puerto Rico. He was
explaining that if you wanted to put a 5% tax, you just have to tell the people
that you will need to put a 10% for some reason, then the people will start
shouting and fighting but then you could say that because you want to treat
them well and be a good person you could put a 5% and everybody will be happy.
I hate how he says it as if we were just irrational humans, as if we didn’t
notice every time the government does that to us, but our biggest problem is
our society’s short-term memory.
For more movie critiques please visit: IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes.
For more movie critiques please visit: IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes.
I agree with you to some extent. I mean,it was portrayed poorly,but its not like it wasn't true you know? So yes,I understand what you're saying and how you feel when you see scenes like the "dumpster" you mention,but it was real,maybe even worse,back then. I guess its a little shocking to see our own country through different eyes. I know it was to me!
ReplyDeleteYou have a strong reaction to these scenes, Antonio. It is difficult to see poverty or to being shown as silly. The movie had a sort of a blurry perspective of Puerto Rico - it didn't capture history as much as a writer's personal experience of Puerto Rico.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI didn't either liked the movie because, yes, I know there was a lot of poverty and everything, but in this movie that is what is only presented and fights and dirt and that kind of things when it wasn't all... There was too much more in Puerto Rico to be seen than just that by that time. It was normal to see poverty then in Puerto Rico but being poor doesn't mean being dirty and messy all the time and for me that is what this movie tries to picture.
DeleteI agree with your reaction to this movie. I didn't like it all, but at the same time I think that the movie tried to capture that critique. I don't think, personally, that they (movie producers, director, etc.) think this way of Puerto Rico. I think they're trying to exemplify how other people see and think of Puerto Rico, unfortunately. The ignorance and inhuman traits other people have. But, they definitely didn't quite portray it the right way.
ReplyDelete