Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lalo's Recognition Activity


I received a message from the professor suggesting us to go to an activity in AJBR building on Wednesday. It was something about a celebration of a tremendous work made by a professor from the general studies department. I gave myself the homework to assist and to see by myself who was this Eduardo Lalo. 



I was late to the activity because I was in class at the time that the activity started but still, I went to AJBR to find out what was happening around there. As I started to hear everyone else, I realized that Eduardo Lalo is a great writer who considers himself puertorrican even that he was born in Cuba because he had spent most of his life here in Puerto Rico. I also recognized that the award that he received is called the “RomuloGallegos award” and that is an amazing award for novels. It must have been an unforgettable experience when he received that award because he was competing with his novel Simone with 200 other novels from people of 17 different countries.



The activity was performed in the first floor of the AJBR building and organized by some professors from the general studies department. In the time that I stayed, one of his work mates of the humanities department discussed in an amusing one of his novels that is named “Los pies de San Juan”. While he was talking I couldn’t keep serious and laughed a little bit. I also noticed that Eduardo Lalo is a person that sounds judicious but that keeps sounding young at the same time and I admire that a lot from him.


I definitely enjoyed the time I passed there, even that it couldn’t be that much as I would like.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you were able to make it and appreciate the event, Antonio. btw - it was a General Studies activity - and the English Department (Dr. Janine Santiago) had a major role in coordinating it to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also went to that activity! I'm glad you could make it because if I didn't go there I would have miss the opportunity to get to know about that astonishing work of Lalo's. The Romulo Gallegos Award is one very important and it is a proud to have a professor like that in our university :)

    ReplyDelete